In Which I Install DS On Linux Mint
Distributor ID: Linuxmint Description: Linux Mint 20 Release: 20 Codename: ulyana
- Once again, started out by following the pre-install directions here:
- For reference, those are as follows:
sudo apt-get install p7zip-full zstd sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386 sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install libstdc++6:i386 libgcc1:i386 zlib1g:i386 libncurses5:i386 libxi6:i386
./dstation-2020 setupand got errors:
mv: cannot stat 'usr/lib/*': No such file or directory rm: cannot remove 'usr/': No such file or directory rm: cannot remove 'etc/': No such file or directory
- And of course, when running:
./lc2e: error while loading shared libraries: libgtk-1.2.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
- The really weird thing is that the files that were just added don't.... seem to be showing up in nemo at all. But they show up with ls in the terminal, so they must be there?
- Okay it suddenly started actually showing files again but I don't think I did anything. I don't know what was up with that.
- ANyway... in the middle of opening an issue about this I realized I should check the install script itself, and sure enough, it's not even running the library downloads because it only checks for certain distributions, and Mint's not on there.
- Changed line 70 of
elif [[ $dis == "Ubuntu" && $arch != "i386" ]] || [[ $dis == "Debian" ]] || [[ $dis == "Linuxmint" ]]; then
- Then it did actually download those libraries. Well, except it still ran into the same issue I did when installing it on Ubuntu, with the script not unpacking GTK+ libs
- Then I remembered that when I brought this up last month I was linked a script with a fix. For some reason I assumed this had been merged into the main branch and was already the script I was using. I guess not.
- The only real change in the fixed script was adding
cpio -idv < gtk+-1.2.10-70.el6.i686.cpioafter line 75, so I did that by hand. Wiped the folder, started the install again, and behold, it worked!!
- ...without sound of course.
- With way too much hope in my heart, I repeated the steps that got sound running on Ubuntu last time:
- Downloaded alsa-oss from https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/hardy/i386/alsa-oss/1.0.15-1
- Installed alsa-utils:i386
- sudo modprobe snd-mixer-oss
export LD_PRELOAD="$LD_PRELOAD /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libaoss.so"
aoss ./dstation-2020 start
- ....But, no dice. I really should have troubleshooted this the right way, one thing at a time instead of dumping a lot of commands I used before.
- The errors I get running it normally are:
ALSA lib conf.c:3722:(snd_config_hooks_call) Cannot open shared library libasound_module_conf_pulse.so (/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/alsa-lib/libasound_module_conf_pulse.so: libasound_module_conf_pulse.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory) ALSA lib pcm.c:2642:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default
sudo apt-get install libasound2-plugins:i386fixed sound. It really was that simple. I'm pretty sure that's how I fixed sound on Debian, too. And I don't even have to run it through aoss! Which gives me hope that TLC2E will run just as flawlessly.
- Indeed, a fresh install of TLC2E requires only a replacing of its
libSDL-1.1.so.0library with the one that gets downloaded via the dstation-2020 script to get sound working.
- So pretty much just like Debian, if I'm remembering right, but I never did actually document my process on Debian, so... cool that I have it now.